Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Japanese Rice

Author's note: This was a very interesting conversation that we had at my aunts house the day after Christmas. I would like feedback on if you think rice from Japan makes sushi better.

With the house still smelling like Christmas from the night before my cousins boyfriend sits high in his chair ready to speak. He says with confidence "Did you know that rice from Japan can't be exported to America? It's illegal."

Looking at each other and trying to figure out why he just decided to tell us this my mom said "What?"

In an even more confidence response he says "Yup. The FDA will not allow it in our country and that is what makes sushi from Japan so good."

My other cousin Elyse says in a snotty voice "Have you even had sushi and what does the FDA have anything to do with that?" Without giving him a chance to speak she asks my dad if he new a difference. Since my dad has been to Japan with work over 5 time he has had the sushi.

In a calm voice that my dad always talks in he say "Rice is rice isn't it?"

My mom then says right after "wouldn't it be the quality of the fish and the freshness."

In an I hate this guy my cousin Elyse rolled her eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment